Sunday, April 18, 2010

White Bean Dip

We have some dried canellini beans and I have been trying to decide what to do with them.  I put them in the crock pot so they would be cooked and figured, I would think about what to do with them once they were ready......
I put 2 cups of dried beans, 6 cups of water, 1 onion cut into quarters, 4 garlic cloves, and 2 small bay leaves into the crock pot.  I set it on high and let it go......A cookbook I was referring to said it should take 8-10 hours on high - ok, off to work, and they should be ready when I come home.  Fortunately, I don't work too far from home and decided to run home at lunch time to let the dogs out and have a quick lunch - only about 4 1/2 hours in the crock pot and the beans were definitely done.  Next time I will put them on low.

I have cooked beans....ok, now what?



With two cups of the cooked beans, I have made a bean dip.

White Bean Dip

2 cups of cooked White Beans (I used canollini, northern beans would probably work well too)
5 Garlic cloves
1 teaspoon Onion Powder
1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
Ground Black Pepper to taste
Kosher Salt to taste (I use very little salt)

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and mix until combined.

Serve with fresh veggies for dipping.  This would also be good spread on crostini or as a sandwich spread.


No comments:

Post a Comment